NEW – Introduction to Floristry Designs (Flowers/sundries not included): Wed 19 Apr, 19:00-21:00
To learn about aspects of floral design, be aware of health and safety and how to use floral foam correctly. You will develop an understanding of the use of tools and equipment. Be able to choose plant material and flowers for different designs and understand the need for conditioning and cleaning of vases etc.
You will undertake the following:
1. Buttonholes and corsages you will learn how to wire different flower materials and understand the different wire gauges. How to purchase your flowers for the rest of the course and how to condition them to last. How to identify fresh flowers and foliage.
2. Table design create an all-round posy for a table decoration. How to soak and use floral foam and how to use sustainable/eco-friendly products. You will learn the elements of floristry design.
3. Posy pad design create a small posy pad design and be shown how to pleat ribbon and attach to finish off the design. How to create this design more sustainably/eco-friendly products. You will learn the principles of floristry design.
4. Hand tied bouquet how to spiral stems and create a bouquet. You will be shown how to wrap the bouquet as a gift, how to finish the bouquet with other decoration and use more sustainable products currently available. You will learn about the basic colour harmonies.
5. Asymmetric/modern design how to produce a small balancing design in a moss base and tray. You will be shown how to use moss effectively. You will also be shown how to use chicken wire as an alternative medium.
6. Biodegradable flower crown how to produce a flower and foliage crown to wear, you will weave natural materials and decorate with an optional ribbon attachment. You will use materials which are compostable.
Course Content - What will I learn?
You will receive an introduction into the world of floristry and the opportunity to learn the basic practical skills required when creating flower designs and if you are thinking of starting in the industry. There will be demonstrations and different guided floristry arrangements each week, these will be a buttonholes and corsages, table design, posy pad design, hand tied bouquet, asymmetric/modern design and a biodegradable flower crown.
The cost of flowers and sundries are not included within the fee so you will be need to budget between £8-£15 per week.
Am I right for the course?
Do you love being creative and enjoy flowers? Thinking of changing career? then this is the course for you.
There are no entry requirements however all learners must be 19 years old or over.
Informal assessment and discussion will be used to support learners in developing their skills. There is no formal assessment on this course.
You will need to supply your own flowers/sundries each week, we estimate approximately £8 to £15 per week. A buying list will be provided prior to the first lesson and an apron. Basic tools will be provided (floristry scissors, tape and wires)
A skilled teacher
Additional courses to follow
16-18 years old, no tuition fees apply to Full Time courses and fees subject to confirmation. Additional costs applicable to BHS courses.
For all two year courses fees shown above are per year.
Aged 19+ and planning to take a level 3 or above a different fee may apply. You may be eligible for an Advanced Learning Loan.
All HE courses (full and part time) are subject to tuition fees.
In need of more advice?
Contact our Admissions team to find out more about student fees and how they might apply to you.
Other courses you may be interested in
Experience what the future
has to offer at Oaklands College
Studying at Oaklands is about finding out what you enjoy learning, with a huge range of courses including A Levels, BTECs and Apprenticeships our students are given a the opportunity to make their own academic choices, and thrive in a subject they enjoy.