If you are interested in working with animals, we offer a range of courses for all abilities which can prepare you for employment or university.
The Habitat Centre is our small animal care unit where you will learn about the care and management of a wide range of species including exotic animals such as bearded dragons and snakes.
We also have a large animal section where you will learn how to care for animals such as calves, pigs, goats and alpacas. Each year students take part in lambing on our working farm, working in shifts to make sure lambs and ewes are healthy and happy.
Our animal management students benefit from:
- Working with animals based at our campus at every course level
- Work experience available at local animal centres, such as ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
- Many of our courses prepare students for progression directly into industry
The Habitat Centre houses over 200 animals and this is where our students gain practical experience in handling and husbandry. Current residents include marmosets, rabbits, aquatics, birds and reptiles.
Our teaching staff have a wide range of experience, sharing best practice in veterinary surgery and nursing and animal charities with the students.
All of our full time programmes include opportunities to support and enhance your learning so that you can achieve your goals and ambitions. Students enrol on a Study Programme which individualises their education whilst enhancing their employability skills. A Study programme is made up of four key elements which includes a main vocational qualification, the development of English and maths through the study of GCSE’s or Functional Skills, Work-related learning through work experience and Personal Development Reviews.
Find a course to suit you from the list below. If you get stuck, don’t worry, help is at hand just call us on 01727 737000 or email email@example.com
This is a nationally-recognised degree qualification in its own right, and can also lead onto the final year of an Honours Degree programme. At Oaklands College we deliver foundation degrees validated by University of Hertfordshire.
While studying towards a foundation degree you will have access to a wide range of services and facilities at Oaklands College as well as having access to facilities at the University of Hertfordshire, including:
- Learning Resource Centre – open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, during term time
- Sports Village – take advantage of excellent health, fitness and swimming facilities
- StudyNet – a virtual learning environment providing online course materials
- Students' Union – join a club, meet new people and enjoy a taste of university life