International courses FAQs

Why Oaklands?

With over 20 years' experience accommodating international students from all over the world, notably from Japan, China, USA, Nigeria, India, Saudi Arabia. in this area and students regularly comment positively about the location, set within historical St. Albans and close access to London. Oaklands College is an accredited college in Matrix and is rated by the United Kingdom Border Agency as a Highly Trusted Sponsor (HTS).

How old do I have to be to come to Oaklands College?

The minimum age for international students is 16.

The minimum ages for EFL students is 16

Do you have an International Office?

We offer help and support from our admissions and advice team about your application. Oaklands does not offer home stay for international students. If you have a problem with your course your teacher can provide guidance in the first instance. If you experience any problems our Student Advice team will be able to assist.


Fees may vary according to your choice of course. For more information please contact the Admissions office on 01727 737000

What do I need to study on a full-time course at Oaklands College?

For international students applying for a Tier 4 Visa to study a course at Oaklands College please contact us on 01727 737000 or email

What accommodation do you have?

We are unable to provide accommodation whilst you are studying with us, there are plenty of Estate Agents in chosen area. Please note, accommodation needs to be arranged before you arrive in the UK. 

What do I need to do to apply?

To apply for a course at Oaklands College you must complete an International Application Form, please refer to our Guidance Notes for more information on the application process.

Why do I need to show the college a bank statement?

There is now an official immigration ruling that all non-EU students must show a bank statement when they apply for a course, dated at least one month before they apply, showing they already have the full tuition fees plus accommodation / living costs for each month they intend residing in the UK.

How do I get a visa?

To get a visa, you must be enrolled on a daytime course of at least 15 hours study per week.

How do I pay for my course fees?

You can pay for your course fees by debit card, bank transfer (BACS) If paying by bank transfer, please be aware of any potential charges, incurred either through sending or receiving the money.

If I can’t come to Oaklands College and I have paid do I get my money back?

If you have paid money for your course and then cannot attend Oaklands, we will be able to refund you only if your visa is refused (an administration charge will apply to all refunds).

How do I get from the airport to the College?

Our campuses are both located close to four major airports: Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted and London Luton. There are excellent rail links to and from London which is only 20 minutes away by train. There are also three major motorways nearby, the M1, M25 and A1(M). For more information on railways, try:

For more information on on flights, try:

Bus Services available from local airports

Heathrow Airport (21 miles or 34km away)
Arriva 724 service 
Luton Airport (18 miles or 29km away) 

Stanstead Airport (20 miles or 32km away)

Gatwick Airport (40 miles or 64km away)

What happens if I am ill?

You will need to register with a local doctor. We also recommend that you have health insurance before you arrive. If you need a doctor, the college has one who can arrange non-emergency appointments for you. You will need to be a full-time student for at least 6 months before you receive free treatment from a doctor.

Do I need insurance?

We recommend that you have insurance for your belongings for your time at college.

Can I access my emails and the internet at college?

Yes, once you have paid their course fees, you can access emails and the internet free of charge at the college’s Learner Resource Centres. You will also have access to the college’s own intranet, called ‘The Box’.

What social activities are included?

Our Student Enrichment team arrange many social activities at each campus.