Oaklands is one of the few colleges in the country which is an RFU centre of excellence, and as such has a formal relationship with a Premiership rugby club. This link provides students with a unique opportunity to get a taste of life as a professional player. Working on a regular basis with coaching staff, players have a fantastic chance to train and play using up to date training and playing strategies used in the top level of the sport.
The rugby teams have an excellent reputation, competing regularly with other colleges linked to Premiership clubs and playing in leagues and cup competitions to ensure regular fixtures. The scheme is also proud to have produced a regular stream of international, divisional and county players over previous years.
As part of the programme, students spend part of their time improving their rugby skills on the training field, developing their strength and conditioning and learning about the game. The remainder of their time is spent in lessons as they continue their education.
The academic options available include:
- A Levels - a wide range of subjects is available (subject to timetabling)
- BTEC L1 & L2 Plumbing, Carpentry and Electrical Installation
- BTEC L2 Diploma in Sport
- BTEC L2 Diploma in Business
- BTEC L3 Extended Diploma in Business
- BTEC L3 National Foundation Diploma in Sport & Exercise Science
- BTEC L3 National Foundation Diploma in Sport
You will also study English and Maths as part of your programme at the appropriate level for you.
There may also be opportunities to undertake RFU coaching and refereeing qualifications.
Women's rugby programme
Depending on numbers, the girls will either have their own group or combine with the boys' programme (where appropriate).
What you need
- Commitment and huge passion for rugby
- Rugby ability - will be assessed through a trial
- The correct grades for the academic course which you choose
Academic content will depend on the course you apply for. The rugby elements of the programme focus on: core skills, game understanding, game structure, strength development and conditioning improvements.
After college most students continue their education at university or go into employment. Some elite players have received contracts at Saracens or other clubs - although this depends purely on ability.