The College is required to create and implement a careers strategy for all students who are enrolled at Oaklands College. This careers strategy is designed to meet the needs to every learner to ensure they meet their career progression goals. It is also created based on the eight Gatsby Benchmarks and intends to meet all of them by the end of 2023.
It is the aim of Oaklands College to equip students with skills and knowledge they will need to play a productive role in the economy and in their community. All students will have access to impartial careers information, advice and guidance that encourage students to aspire, make good choices and understand what they need to do in order to reach and succeed in their chosen career.
It is also the aim that all students on study programmes partake in high quality careers education including meaningful encounters with employers and access to work experience placements. This is coupled with appropriate opportunities for students to develop the knowledge, skills and attributes needed to make successful choices and manage their careers.
For students who are enrolled at Oaklands College, these services are offered throughout the academic year in various formats and delivery methods:
• 1:1 career advice and guidance is available by dropping into the Careers and Advice Hub or by booking sessions with the OakExtra team or through Services for Young People.
• A Level 6 Career Advisor is available at each campus within the Careers and Advice Hub as well as Level 6 Advisor at Services for Young People.
• Workshop sessions on employment and further education related activities delivered by YC Hertfordshire.
• Purposeful and meaningful work experience supported by OakExtra and the Employability Team.
• Talks from invited speakers on employment, apprenticeship, higher education and other routes into training and employment.
• Site visits to employers, universities and networking events.
• National event run on campus such as National Careers Week and National Apprenticeship Week.
• Internal events such as UCAS Evening and Progression Fayre.
• Job boards at each campuses Careers and Advice Hub, which are frequently updated with local job vacancy and other relevant opportunities.
• Resources available in the LRC and Careers and Advice Hub.
• Online resources available on OakLearn.
• Students download and set up their placement on Grofar at the beginning the academic year to outline career aspirations.
• Careers themed events running throughout the academic year.
• Progression Fayre for SEND students.
• All activities will be recorded onto the students ILP
Oaklands College has a traded agreement with Services for Young People, to offer our students a wide range of careers and personal development guidance. This guidance can be delivered in groups or on a 1:1 basis. Career guidance themes include:
• UCAS Overview
• Personal Statement Support
• Degree Apprenticeships
• CV Support (for employment or Work Experience)
Careers Themed Months
Oaklands College aim to make sure their students are equipped with the skills and knowledge to thrive and flourish when progressing into the world of work. With this in mind we run 6 Careers Themed Months, where students will engage with Universities, Employers, and Apprenticeship providers allowing them to explore the world outside of college. The Careers Months are as follows:
- September - Labour Market Information
- October - Higher Education
- November - Employability
- December - Work Experience
- January - STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths)
- February - Apprenticeships
The Careers Programme will be evaluated for its positive impact on students and be reviewed by using the following methods:
- Analysing destination data
- User progression
- Matrix Quality Standard
- Ofsted inspection
- Feedback from students and employers
Oaklands Career Strategy
For more information on Oaklands commitment to students' careers please download our Careers Strategy below.
If you are an employer who is interested in working with Oaklands College to improve and support the Careers Programme please contact:
of students would recommend the college to a friend
hours of work experience by students last year
trained staff work at college
of students travel to college using our discounted bus service
local companies Oakland College have supported with work experience