The Edge at Oaklands College
We aim to provide Oaklands College students with an innovative range of opportunities to experience work, enhance their learning and increase their employability. We track the destinations of our students once they leave Oaklands and last year 93% of those went onto either Higher Education or Employment. From our industry related courses 77% of all students who achieved their qualification ended up in employment in the industry they were training for.
Why should I do work experience?
Your perfect job shouldn’t be a ‘dream job’ but a realistic goal. Each year students from Oaklands College progress into the career and industries that they were working towards when they started on a course at Oaklands.
- You can apply what you are learning in College to a real working environment.
- It is the only way to get a real sense of your chosen career; you get to speak to employees and ask them questions about working in that industry, you won’t know what it’s like until you get close to the action
- Work experience gives you something to put on your CV, as well as your UCAS application, giving you a better chance of getting that job or that place at university.
- You might impress the employer so much that they offer you a job once you have completed your studies
- You will show passion, initiative and interest in employment and evidence that you have done work experience proves to the employer that you are motivated to get into a chosen career.
- Young people who participate in work experience are more likely to earn more when in employment than those who had no work experience
- Work experience undertaken while in school gives young people an advantage when competing for jobs after education and can determine whether students are accepted into university courses
If you would like to be involved or find out more, please contact The Edge team either via email at theedge@Oaklands.ac.uk
or call us on 01727 737000.