"Inclusive ethos” and ”celebration of diversity”
- Ofsted 2009
We want to take each individual needs into consideration to ensure that you have a successful and happy learning experience. We therefore uphold an Equal Opportunity policy that states that every individual will be treated fairly and as equals.
Oaklands College is committed to achieving equality and diversity in an inclusive and supportive environment. There is zero tolerance to any form of behaviour which contravenes the policy. Click here to view our policy.
What is equality?
Equality is ensuring individuals or groups of individuals are treated fairly and equally and no less favourably, specific to their needs, including areas of race, gender, disability, religion or belief, sexual orientation and age.
Promoting equality should remove discrimination in all of the aforementioned areas. Bullying, harassment or victimization are also considered as equality and diversity issues.
What is diversity?
Diversity aims to recognise, respect and value people’s differences to contribute and realise their full potential by promoting an inclusive culture for all staff and students.
How can we promote equality and diversity?
- We can promote equality and diversity by:
- Treating all staff and students fairly
- Creating an inclusive culture for all staff and students
- Ensuring equal access to opportunities to enable students to fully participate in the learning process.
- Enabling all staff and students to develop to their full potential.
- Equipping staff and students with the skills to challenge inequality and discrimination in their work/study environment.
- Making certain that any learning materials do not discriminate against any individuals or groups.
- Ensuring sure policies, procedures and processes don't discriminate.
If you would like to know more about our commitment to equality and diversity please call us on 01727 737 000.
Alternatively, if you have a learning difficulty or disability and require support during your time at college please click here for more information.
The College has a duty to publish equality objectives and to demonstrate working towards the objectives, they are:-
- Focus on improving student gender profiles in some curriculum areas which are under-represented
- Work towards reducing the differential in attainment by race, gender and disability students in some curriculum areas.
- Achieve higher levels of disclosure for sexual orientation, religion and belief and mental health conditions for staff and students to identify any areas for improvement;
- Develop measures to support students from disadvantaged backgrounds to ensure their success
- The Corporation diversity profile should aim to reflect the local community and relevant protected characteristics
An action plan will be formed to demonstrate how the objectives will be achieved.