Higher Technical Qualifications (HTQs)
Get the Higher Skills & Knowledge that Employers Need
Oaklands College is committed to providing high quality technical education that meets the needs of students, employers and industry.
There are currently huge skills gaps in many vital areas of the economy, meaning employers need people with technical skills more than ever. Our Higher Technical Education courses open up a world of opportunity by helping you train or retrain for highly-skilled jobs within the key technical sectors.
What are Higher Technical Qualifications?
Higher Technical Qualifications (HTQs) are new Level 4 and 5 qualifications (such as HNCs, HNDs, foundation degrees and Diplomas) that have been quality marked by the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education (IfATE) to indicate their alignment to employer-led occupational standards and to ensure they are prestigious and meet employer needs.
They’ve been developed by awarding bodies in collaboration with employers, so you’ll get the right training, knowledge and skills to succeed in the workplace.
Who are Higher Technical Qualifications for?
HTQs are suitable for individuals looking to gain practical, skills-based training and education. They are particularly suitable for:
- those looking to start a technical career, but don't want a traditional academic route.
- adults looking to change careers or upskill in a specific technical area.
- individuals who have completed vocational qualifications but want to upgrade their skills and knowledge.
- employees looking to boost their career within their industry or switch to a technical field.
- apprentices looking to gain further qualifications in their chosen trade or field.
What can I do after an HTQ?
- Higher Technical Qualifications are primarily designed for direct entry into skilled employment or those looking to retrain or upskill.
- Further study, such as getting a degree.
Experience what the future
has to offer at Oaklands College
Studying at Oaklands is about finding out what you enjoy learning, with a huge range of courses including A Levels, BTECs and Apprenticeships our students are given a the opportunity to make their own academic choices, and thrive in a subject they enjoy.