Apprenticeship programmes give young people an opportunity to grow and learn in a work environment. With support from the College as well as the employer, apprentices achieve a nationally-recognised qualification.
Why do an apprenticeship?
Choosing to do an apprenticeship means that you open yourself to excellent progression opportunities, whether looking to study further or climb the ranks within the workplace. There's also different type of apprenticeships, which mean you can move to all the way to graduate level with higher level and degree apprenticeships.
The benefits of choosing an apprenticeship
- Learning in a workplace environment with minimal days in College.
- Ideal solution for forward thinking savvy individuals who want to develop their career.
- The programme can give apprentice's their first step onto the career ladder.
- Apprentice's will be an employee in a business with a real job role and responsibilities.
- Apprentice's receive a salary, paid holidays and possibly additional benefits (depending on the benefits offered by individual employers).
- Employers design the apprenticeship standards, ensuring that learning is suitable for real work situations. With relevant experience and knowledge, some students will continue their career with the same employer following completion of their apprenticeship.
We have lots of local employers who regularly take on apprentices and The National Apprenticeship Service also runs Apprenticeships vacancies.
Our Student Experiences
See what our current students have to say about their experiences
Talk About Your Options
Apprenticeship courses come in different levels and areas. Our team can help if you need to talk to someone about possible options or benefits of joining an apprenticeship. Talk to us today and find out more about apprenticeships.
of our apprentices go to work in their chosen career area
of Oaklands apprentices are employed full-time after they complete their apprenticeship
of our apprentices grow their confidence after doing an apprenticeship at Oaklands
is the average salary for an Oaklands apprentice (about £4.30 - £5.75ph) which is above the minimum wage for a 16-18 year old in employment without formal training.
of apprentices said their ability to do the job had improved
of apprentices currently go into work or further training
Fact - Not necessarily. In any apprenticeship, 20% of the working week should be spent outside the workplace. For many, this can be a day at College but it has to be off the job training.
Fact - This is not true - an apprentice can be any age, and can be already employed.
Fact - Apprenticeship pay must meet the national minimum wage but the apprentices at Oaklands often earn above that level.
Fact - An apprenticeship is a real job with contract of employment and benefits from day one, where apprentices are an integral part of the workforce.
Fact - You can still achieve a degree-level qualification while developing workplace skills - without incurring any student debt - through a Degree Apprenticeship.
We offer a variety of courses at our campuses, from picturesque parkland to close to the town centre locations
Apprenticeships at Oaklands
An apprenticeship means that you're getting a recognised qualification through a mix of practical and study elements. Apprenticeships vary not only on levels but they're also unique to each employer.